Saturday, 15 August 2009

the last goodbye for now.

You know, in a way I don't really feel surprised that this has happened to me once again. I guess I subconsciously knew that this semester won't be smooth sailing; I kept feeling this sem is going to be draggy, althought there really is no reason to feel that way. I think I've somewhat got used to the modular system in NUS. 6 modules? ok lah...hahaha...you know, I'm actually quite motivated to study and be more active this sem ! I guess being a senior raised my self esteem a lil bit, as I know I'm no longer a lost soul like the freshies. Heck, I even contemplate about doing honours now, as statistics has somehow become more interesting? Or maybe it's because for once in my uni life I actually understood what's going on in my core modules lectures. But then this is just the first week, maybe the next few weeks will have me whining about not doing honours and wanting to graduate asap again. For now, I think I really will go for the 4th year (Woah, worth recording this statement as it just might be my drive later on..lol)

Ok, why did I say about my sem being not smooth sailing? Firstly when I arrived there's this issue about a silly taxi driver, trivial matter you might say, but to me it's like a bad beginning already. Then complaints about my new accomodation ( though I think I am slowly adapting, btw, washing machine free for use but dryers are not, but still...cheaper!) which is too hot and stuffy. Then I fell sick on RAG day. What else? Oh the laptop problem!!

You know what I think? This semester reminds me horribly of my very first semester in NUS. Got lots of problems too: module bidding so blur that I only got 4 modules, resulting in me lagging behind my progress, fell down and scraped my knee so badly (even have to get tetanus shot!) that till now that patch of skin is darker than the rest even if it has healed already, and not to menti0n my poor health (no visit from a "relative" for close to 2 mths which freaked me out) and the laptop incident.

Now, I really think I'm a jinx to laptops. I swear I didn't really do anything unusual and the laptop will go berserk on me. Even this time is like that. I was using the usual websites: hotmail, facebook, twitter, NUS IVLE, youtube and listening to music when all of a sudden the Blue Screen appeared. I literally broke into a cold sweat. History repeating itself? Sigh, sleep that night was bad with twisted dreams.

$600 to fix it. It's a huge sum, even if I am working now I'm not sure I'll be willing to fork out that amount. $600 can buy, and I quote SY "half a laptop" already. I talked to my family and I can't say I am surprised at their reactions. But their implication about me not knowing how to use a computer properly made me doubt myself too. Is it me??

As I told SY, I sort of accepted my "fate" already. I even try to think of the pros of not having a laptop despite the very obvious cons staring in my face: inconvenience of it all. But if I think of it this way, it means no internet to distract me cause I always sit in front of the laptop for too long doing non-uni related stuffs. It means I either study or sleep in my room. Hence I foresee myself sleeping early (no FB to distract me till the wee hours, no entertainment basically) which is considered a healthy lifestyle right?? Plus, study more!!! Definitely good for my grades. Though I'll be dependent on the library in uni, but since I paid so much tuition fee, might as well utilise campus facilities fully while I am here right? And also I won't be available online all the time anymore, so my family can't really reach me as easily as before, then maybe this time instead of me being homesick, they might be STELLA-sick! Hahahaha....wishful thinking on my part. I'd be glad if they didn't forget me.

But the inconvenience is really @#%@%%^$ Not so much about lecture notes and assignments, but the freedom of having the virtual world at my fingertips. But hey, Susan can survive without a laptop for so long, I can do it too right? For at least a semester? I can almost visualise SY shaking his head vigorously. Lol, a lot of "but"'s in this paragraph.

As the chinese saying goes 既来之则安之. I shall take everything coming my way in my stride. Hopefully I will not be crushed by all these negativities. At the very least, I am really glad that I am healthy.

Till I don't know when again!!

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment